Delicious Apple Pie Recipe
This homemade apple pie is traditionally baked for our festive family gathering on January 1st and is eaten until every last crumb is taken up. This is not a classic apple pie with a crust, but it’s perfectly delicious combining apples and spices. Our family keeps raving that it’s the best apple pie they’ve ever eaten. Recipe is as simple as it can be.
YOU WILL NEED:
- 0,5 kg/ 1,1 lbs of apples (3-4 medium apples)
- 250 g/ 2 cups of Flour
- 250 g/ 1 cup of Butter
- 3 Eggs
- 100 g/ 1/2 cup of Sour cream
- 150 g/ 3/4 cup of Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of Baking soda
- 2 teaspoons of Cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons of Powdered sugar
- Peel and slice apples. We like to use combination of tart and sweet apples for a delicious taste. Our best-loved duet is crispy Granny Smith and sweet Pink Lady apples. You can use your favorite baking apples, just make sure that they are firm enough to keep shape after almost hour of baking.
- In a large bowl cream butter with sugar until well blended. You will get a fluffy light yellow mix. Butter needs to be room temperature; if it’s cold it won’t blend with the sugar evenly.
- Separate egg yolks from whites; you will need whites later. Add yolks to the bowl, beating or whisking ingredients all the time.
- Then add sifted flour and sour cream mixed with baking powder. You can also use natural full-fat yoghurt instead of sour cream.
- Stir all the ingredients in a bowl and add whipped egg whites.
- Prepare your favorite pie plate for baking by buttering it and pour carefully mixed pie dough in it. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200C/ 400F.
- Flatten surface of the pie neatly and stick apple slices in it. Cover top of the pie with sugar and cinnamon. We usually add few teaspoons of cinnamon for a warm and distinctive bittersweet flavor.
- Reduce oven setting to 180C/ 350F and bake the pie for 30-45 minutes until the edges and top are golden brown.
- Let the pie cool slightly and sprinkle it with powdered sugar if desired.
This pie is as delicious as it is pretty. Serve it warm with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream for a heaven on a plate. Bon appétit!